Pages

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Broken Calm!

Last evening as the sun was going down,
creating a wonderful hue to the light,
I sat on my porch playing "words with friends" on my borrowed iphone.
It was hot and a slight breeze had begun to move the air.

Thru my concentration,
a dog barking in the back ground brought me back to reality.
I looked up just in time to see Sassy
following something that was waddling,
along the yard fence line.

As it arrived at the gate,
The waddler stopped and faced Sassy.
For just a half a second they were nose to nose!

I called Sassy back,
obediently she turned to come to me.
Then, faster than lightening this
black and white waddler
slips into the yard at the bottom of the gate!
No way was it going to let this dog get away with barking.
It has come to challenge Sassy!

Sassy wasn't going to bow down to this so she raced to meet her challenger!
My screaming fell on deaf ears!
From the right, comes Taumee to see if she can offer up any help.
In charges Sydney from the left,
grabs that brave teenage know it all skunk,
and shook it for all she was worth.

Then it sprayed!
It was like a dog with a waterhose in its mouth!
Sydney managed to coat EVERYTHING!
Patio furniture, concrete blocks, rug,
PLUS:
All three dogs and one cat!

With that, everyone ran their seperate ways.
Dogs rolling in the grass...
Skunk running for dear life, (to the front of the yard, and where we have no clue!)
Screech standing on guard, looking around with this:
"which way did it go" look on his face!

Out comes my magic solution which has worked wonders on Screech.

I am choking and gagging as I go grab my quarts of Hydrogen peroxide.
One quart at a time,
I generously shake in some baking soda,
and lightly drizzle Dawn Dish Soap in the mixture.

Taumee is the first!
I soak her with water first.
Then pour, rub and rinse her with the solution.
Dry her off best I can....
Put her in the house!

MISTAKE!!!!!!

Because, with Sassy who was second,
I put the solution on her BEFORE I got her wet.

Worked on her pretty good.
Same with Sydney.

But Taumee REEKS!
MY HOUSE STINKS!

I did not want them staying outside over night for two reasons:
1.  They had managed to rub 'skunk' all over the grass.
2.  No idea if that skunk will come back.

As I sit at my desk,
With just the slightest movements,
aroma of "skunk" reaches up and gently strokes my nostrils!

Think I will make myself scarce today!






3 comments:

The Dancing Donkey said...

Hmmm, I've never tried you peroxide solution, but I know for sure that a dilute bleach solution kills skunk odor INSTANTLY. Don't use water, it just spreads the skunk oil around.

50+ Horses said...

Thanks for the info on removing the smell, I'm thinking I'm going to need it. :)

Nikker said...

Ugh! Kage stuck his nose in a skunks fanny once. Right in front of me in the barn isle. we had a few black and white barn cats at the time. I can only guess he thought initially that the skunk was one of the cats. It let him have it. It was hands down one of the worst non-injury experiences of my life. He was so close to the thing that it blinded him...and I found out that the color of the spray is green...and it takes weeks for a barn to loose the smell of an encounter...
I sure wish I'd had your "recipe" back then! I am going to write it down as well as TDD's dilute bleach solution and save them for a just in case reference.